Sunday, 11 March 2012

Oppression Blog Tour: Guest Post from Jessica Therrien

Hello everyone! I have the pleasure of being a part of another great blog tour and have the author of Oppression here today with a special guest post. Jessica Therrien is author of the new YA paranormal romance/adventure series, Children of the Gods.

Title: Oppression
Series: Children of the Gods, #1
Author: Jessica Therrien
Publisher: Zova Books
Published: Feb 28, 2012
Elyse knows what it means to keep a secret. She's been keeping secrets her whole life. Two, actually. First, that she ages five times slower than the average person, so that while she looks eighteen years old, she's closer to eighty. Second, that her blood has a mysterious power to heal. For Elyse, these things don't make her special. They make life dangerous. After the death of her parents, she's been careful to keep her secret as closely guarded as possible. Now, only one other person in the world knows about her age and ability. Or so she thinks. Elyse is not the only one keeping secrets. There are others like her all over the world, descendants of the very people the Greeks considered gods. She is one of them, and they have been waiting for her for a long time. Among so many of her kind, she should not be very remarkable--except for the prophecy. Some believe she will put an end to traditions, safeguarded by violence, which have oppressed her people for centuries. Others are determined to keep her from doing just that. But for Elyse, the game is just beginning--and she's not entirely willing to play by their rules.

A Supernatural Modern World

Hello Blogger World! I’m Jessica Therrien, author of Oppression (Children of the Gods, #1). Thanks so much for stopping by for the blog tour! Also, thanks Sam for having me on your blog.

I was asked to write about what I thought it would be like if people in the modern world had abilities like Elyse. The easy answer…it would be…AWESOME!

I have to be careful here, because I don’t want to give too much away in terms of my book series. I liked this question though, because it’s actually the very same question I asked myself when coming up with the idea behind Children of the Gods.

Of course I thought of the modern world, but I had to think a little farther back if I was going to relate these abilities to Greek Mythology. Let’s say that people did have abilities way back in B.C. and that they exposed those abilities to the human race. If that were true, it would be very likely that those special people would be mistaken for gods, right?

I loved the idea that it was human society that created the misconception, that the Descendants (as I call them) were never really gods at all, but people like you and me whose abilities were misunderstood and blown out of proportion. The idea that the Greek myths were embellishments to explain a supernatural natural phenomenon seemed feasible enough to be an intriguing book series.

So…jump ahead to modern times. The Descendants, who have supernatural abilities, have been living in secret. What would happen if their race just happened to be exposed to human society once again? I can’t really answer that, but I’m curious to hear what you think. I’m currently drawing book two to a close, and preparing to tackle book three of the series. These questions are swimming around in my head all day long, but I don’t want to be so quick as to tell you about them. I don’t want to ruin anything for my readers.

Instead, I’m going to leave that question with you. What do you think the modern world would be like if there were people with abilities?

Thanks for reading! I can’t wait to see your responses J


A warm thank you to Jessica for her post. I think the world would be pretty cool if there were people with abilities - especially if I was one of them. ;)

35 comments:

  1. Great post Jessica and Sam!

    I think the world would be very interesting and I'd hope that people would use their abilities for good not evil!

    I love the cover of Oppression, looking forward to seeing it over here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I love the cover, too! My publisher did a great job. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Whoaaaa seriously AMAZINGG post!!! This sounds like such a FANTASTIC book, and I love how the series is called 'Children of the Gods'! Wow...I really wish I could have some kind of supernatural ability; living a normal life right now is getting a tad boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! So glad you liked the post :) The book is only $.99 on NOOK & Kindle. I hope you get a chance to read it!! http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/oppression-jessica-therrien/1108059347?ean=2940013982574

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS POST.

    And in response to the question . . . I'm not quite certain. It depends on if they had always been a known phenomenon, or if they were suddenly revealed in this day and age. I believe if they had always been known, your approach, them being seen as gods, is quite plausible. If they were suddenly revealed, I suspect they'd become a media sensation, and scientists would be desperate to use them as lab rats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS!!! I love your comment...my creative brain is working away :) I hope you get a chance to read the book!

      Delete
  4. Oh my Gosh, love the post! It's so awesome that we have Jessica in the same day LOL! Jessica really has a talent and I enjoyed her book so much! To answer the question, I think just like the old times, people will start worshiping people with ability. They will be seen as modern gods, and I think some people may envy the ability. I think it definitely would make a real shake in the world! Amazing question. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh good answer :) Thanks for taking part in my blog tour, Hilda!!

      Delete
  5. "Children of the Gods"! Greek Mythology! This sounds like my PERFECT book, I am such a Greek Mythology nerd. I can Not wait for this one!
    Great post Sam and Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOO glad you liked the sound of the book!! It's only $.99 on NOOK & Kindle...I hope you get a chance to read it! If you do, let me know what you think :) http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/oppression-jessica-therrien/1108059347?ean=2940013982574

      Delete
  6. Finished reading 'Opression'. I think the world would eb wonderful with all these amazining abilities and the healing one - would be great for all the illnesses and diseases we have today. Though i do think abilities such as Sam's sometimes they can go a little crazy so i think only people who can be seriuosly trusted should be blessed with these abilities :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soooo much for reading Oppression!! Great answer :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Jessica...I love all these books out there with modern spins on greek mythology. I have always been fascinated by the myths and love to see them reborn. As far as your question it depends if people are using their abilities for greater good, healing, mentoring, etc. then the world would be better but we know there are always those swayed by power and that would cause concern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting! Great answer. I think you're right...people would definitely be swayed by power. This isn't a perfect world. We'll see...

      Delete
  8. Hey Jessica (still blog tour stalking you.. haha!) I think if the modern world was exposed to people with supernatural abilities.. it wouldn't be a HUGE deal. Think of all the people who read books with these types of things in them already, I think we've accepted that there will always be the possibility that they exist.. where else would these ideas come from? On the other hand, I'm sure there are people out there that would have a problem with it but everything "unknown" can be a difficult thing to accept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true. Thanks so much for blog tour stalking me, Cassandra LOL! It's awesome. I love it!!

      Delete
  9. Sam, thanks so much for hosting me on your blog!! What a great response your followers had! YAY! So much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the post Jessica! I loved having you on my blog! :) I can't wait to read Oppression myself. ;)

      Delete
  10. Hmmm. If people had abilities, as cool and as awesome as it sounds. I think there would be chaos. Can you imagine what people would do to use them to their advantage. Unless strict laws were evoked, things would completely be out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiiiii, Jessica!! *waves* It's so nice to see you! I've been seeing your book around a few times, but this post has officially made me want to add it to my wish list! It sounds SO fantastic! :) <3

    If people in the modern world had abilities? Oh gosh, I don't think I can even fathom it! x) It would be amazingly cool, and I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't love to have powers, but it would also probably lead to chaos LOL. Although I have to admit that the idea of no longer living a boring old life would be amazing!

    Really awesome post, you two! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi :) I hope you enjoy the book!

      Delete
  12. Ah, I love that ending question. It gives me so many possibilities to think of :)

    And I never thought of their not actually being gods, but there being mistaken as such. Now, THAT is an intriguing idea for a story.

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) It's only $.99 on NOOK and Kindle if you want to give it a try ;) http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/oppression-jessica-therrien/1108059347?ean=2940013982574

      Delete
  13. AWESOME post. I really enjoyed it, and as Mimi said, I've also been hearing about Jessica's books a lot lately. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy. Thanks for sharing, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting :) I hope you enjoy the book!!

      Delete
  14. Lovely post, ladies. There's another book that I can think of about the Descendants of ancient gods, Dark Descendants by Jenna Black, but it's adult, not YA. I loved it so much so I'm more than willing to give this one a try, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It would be amazing if the modern world had people with supernatural abilities, but at the same time it would be truly terrifying I think. I just see all the destruction we can cause without said abilities, so I can't help but think how much more damage we could cause with them. Still, I wouldn't mind having an ability myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think terrifying is the perfect word. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  16. Great post, Jessica :) I think it would be terrible if everyone had powers, they would ruin the world and everything in it but in saying that it would be awesome if a select few (me lol) had super powers. I am so looking forward to reading Oppression. Thanks for sharing, Sam. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting :) I really hope you like the book!

      Delete
  17. Ooh awesome guest post and very interesting. I'm always one who thinks there are people and things out there that we have no idea about. It would be pretty awesome to find out someone has superpowers or abilities. I'd be all over it! I heard great things about this book as well it sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giselle :) I hope you like it!

      Delete
  18. Oppression is a very good start for a beautifully weaved series. It left me wanting more. If you want a story with a handful of Greek mythology, a dash infectious classic romance, and a cup of brewing war then Oppression is definitely for you.

    ReplyDelete