Saturday, 31 March 2012

Night Sky Blog Tour: Review

I have the pleasure of hosting another tour stop for Tribute Books. Below is my review of Night Sky by Jolene Perry, plus information on the book. Hopefully you will like the sound of this!

Title: Night Sky
Author: Jolene Perry
Publisher: Tribute Books
Released: March 01, 2012
Add on Goodreads
Girl I’ve loved, girl I’m falling for. Now that they’re both in view, the problem is clear. 

After losing Sarah, the friend he’s loved, to some other guy, Jameson meets Sky. Her Native American roots, fluid movements, and need for brutal honesty become addictive fast. This is good. Jameson needs distraction – his dad leaves for another woman, his mom’s walking around like a zombie, and Sarah’s new boyfriend can’t keep his hands off of her. 

As he spends time with Sky and learns about her village, her totems, and her friends with drums - she's way more than distraction. Jameson's falling for her fast. 

But Sky’s need for honesty somehow doesn’t extend to her life story – and Jameson just may need more than his new girl to keep him distracted from the disaster of his senior year.
Kindle | Nook | Smashwords | PDF

Review:

Contemporary fiction and I don’t always get along, unfortunately. If you hand me a pile of Contemporary books and pile of Science-Fiction & Fantasy books, I would almost certainly plunge straight into the latter. There are several reasons for this - but to put it simply, I can’t get the same ‘escape’ with realistic stories as I do with others. So why on earth did I even want to read Night Sky? I honestly don’t know. What I am certain of, however, is how glad I am that I DID read this book. 

Night Sky, a YA tale of the trials and tribulations of first love (or even second love), is my first book by Jolene Perry and it certainly won’t be the last. There is only so much content I can predict to be in a book about a boy and two girls, a past love and a new love, (and this is why I am not a writer) but I was thrilled to discover that this story was so much more than I could have imagined. Jolene Perry is an expert writer who manages to flawlessly craft a beautiful and modern love story. There is romance, emotions, ups and downs, and I found myself easily scrolling through the book, eager for more.
 

Not only did the author manage to make 
me (of all people) fall in love with her contemporary story; she also does a truly brilliant job handling the male point of view. Night Sky is told through Jameson, the boy torn after two girls, and it couldn’t have been better told any other way. I can’t say I’m much of an expert when it comes to a realistic male point of view, but this one felt incredibly believable. I prefer female points of view (though it is funny saying that when my all-time favourite series is from the male perspective) but the author made me forget all about that. In fact, Jameson’s perspective felt so natural that I almost believed I had been reading from the male perspective my whole life. I have no idea how she pulled it off so well, but she definitely gets a metaphorical pat on the back from me. And what it is about the male perspective that makes a sort-of love triangle acceptable? It didn’t bother me in the slightest. 

It’s safe to say that I liked Jameson. He was a refreshing change and I supported him the whole way through the book. The girls, on the other hand, are not so easy for me to decide on. At first, I preferred Sarah, the girl Jameson had been in love with for the past three years. She isn’t a particularly remarkable character, but she is quite likeable, even if a little distant from the actual plot. Sky, the girl Jameson ends up falling for, didn’t create the right first impression on me. If I had been reading from 
her point of view and watched as she agreed to get into the car of a stranger and then go swimming in his pool half naked, I’m certain I wouldn’t have liked her at all. Luckily for Sky, Jameson takes the lead in this book and in Jameson’s eyes, Sky is a wonderful girl – a complex, honest character who can finally release him from the pain he feels with Sarah. It took me a while to agree with this, but when I did, Sky ended up being my favourite of the two girls and I found myself just as fascinated by the mystery that surrounds her as Jameson was. 

There is a twist with Sky’s character towards the end of the book and a pretty dramatic one at that. I do love it when a plot twist is exactly what it should be – a complete and utter surprise and not something that the reader can spot a mile away. It tied everything together and added nicely to the structure of the storyline. You know what my favourite thing about the twist was? Jameson’s reaction. Seriously, the author does it perfectly. We get both sides of Jameson here and it worked so well. He is as 
real as can be whilst also managing to be an impossibly loveable character. I adored him, basically. 

Night Sky proved to be a very different read to what I am used to but an enjoyable one nonetheless. This is definitely a book for the romance addicts. It’s something new and fresh, with the same sweet elements that a lot of romantics love. And hey, it’s the first contemporary book of the year that I thoroughly enjoyed, so you are probably safe to add this to your TBR lists!
 


Rating: 4 stars

31 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see you loved it, Sam. I got this one for the tour too and should be getting to it next week, hopefully. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice review Sam! And how rare to see a love triangle centered around a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you liked the book too sam :D i got it for review too, and you're so right about the realistic male perspective! i have no idea how a boy really thinks, but it sounds pretty damn believable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if you and I ever had to share books, we'd do alright! I'd read all the contemporary fiction and you could read all the fantasy and sci-fi and we'd have no issues! :)

    This sounds really interesting, I can't remember the last time I read a story involving Native Americans and I enjoy stories revolving around a male main character. I'm going to buy the Kindle version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, don't worry, we're in the same boat - I'm not a huge fan of contemp. fiction either! But the last few I read were so amazing, that I'm beginning to wonder why I never liked this genre in the first place :S Whoaaa...a fantastic contemporary love story told through a MALE perspective, and the author manages to write it brilliantly? Looks like it's high time I grab a copy of this for myself! Ooohh, I'm REALLY curious about this twist with Sky's character! I absolutely LOVE surprises - esp. ones that throw me off guard! Excellent review, Sam<3 I'm looking forward to reading this<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds so good/ i think i really would like this1
    u reviewing magisian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a great review, Sam. :D I am not big into contemporary fiction either, it's OK but it doesn't usually blow me away.But I am so glad you enjoyed this, as I am starting it soon for the tour too. -Carly :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really good. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not really into contemporary fiction either and like you if I had to pick between cf and sci-fi & fantasy books I would pick the latter! But wow, after reading your review I'm intrigued - will defo have to check this book out! Thanks for the awesome review, Sam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I passed on this because i feel the same way about contemporary books. I am so glad to hear you liked it and the male POV has me intrigued. We don't see that often enough. Thanks for sharing this lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, Sam, your review is making me want to go to the bookstore and gorge on contemporary reads -- this one, especially! -- even though it's not really my genre either! <3 This one sounds so sweet and touching and beautiful! And I prefer female POVs to male ones too, but I love it when you can find a told-from-a-male's-POV gem in the mix, especially if he makes the love triangle more lovable! :)

    BEAUTIFUL review, Sam! I'm in love with the cover and in love with your review, so it only makes sense for me to be in love with the book too, right? ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am like you Sam, I much prefer the escapism of a fantasy book. I tend to steer clear of contemporary. Glad to see you enjoyed this one though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! Male POV's are hard to write well and I'm glad Jolene Perry pulled it off so well. I really want to get my hands on this book now. I was very iffy about it before but the reviews seem to be pretty positive. :) I love reading in a good guy's POV.

    Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad you loved this one Sam, I have it coming up in my stack. I like male POVs probably because we don't get them often enough. I have to say, I love the cover on this one, it is sl striking :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant review Sam! I had to pop on over here and read your review for a second time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting that it's told from a male POV. I don't mind, but I don't think I've found one in this genre to from a guy's POV. Hm hm hm.. I might have to add this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I already told you this, but I love your review, Sam. I'm definitely going to pick up this one thanks to you. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  18. As always, fantastic review. *-* I'd been debating whether to check this one out, but now, I believe I may have to. I really, really adore male POV when it's done properly. A lot of the time, when a female attempts male POV, it just doesn't sound genuine. I struggle to believe that this is actually a boy I'm reading through. So when someone does get it right, it makes me insanely happy. I'd pick this up for that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you liked this book, I got it for review also and I loved it! I'm kind of in a different situation then you when it comes to liking science fiction/fantasy over contemporary. I love contemporary books, so this year I'm hoping to read more fantasy type books.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I'm adding this to mt TBR because it sounds definitely like something I'd like.
    Thanks Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Sam, if you of all people enjoy this Contemporary YA, then I'm sure that I'll fall over heels about this book! Your review is amazing and I think I'm going to add it on my wishlist simply because of your review! I'm hoping to read more books told by male POV, and this book sounds like a perfect pick! I like it that the love triangle is different, and you found yourself root different girl as the story progresses! Thank you for the amazing review, Sam! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooooh, Sam, you've said it perfectly. I read for escape, too, and my default escape is fantasy.
    Also, your all time fave series? HARRY, RIGHT? SAY IT'S HARRY!

    OK, outburst aside: amazing amazing AMAZING review. I love that you enjoyed it so much, and I am INSANELY curius about this Big Twist!
    Sam, you always write the most wonderful reviews. Thanks for putting this one on my radar!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duh, it's Harry. Who else would it be? ;)

      Delete
  23. PHEW. I have to read this on Monday for the same blog tour, and I'M TOTALLY RELIEVED NOW. I have a hard time with contemporaries sometimes; they do make me nervous, so I'm super glad to hear that this one convinced you of its awesomeness. And with the way you described Jameson... I have a distinct feeling that I'm going to fall for him. BIG TIME.

    Dude, this review is AMAZING. Seriously, it squashed all my fears and initial wariness to dust.

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whoa, you've definitely piqued my interest with your review! Hearing that you're not a big fan of contemps and STILL enjoyed this book is high praise indeed. I love that the author also pulled of a male POV so well, they're so rare. I'm really curious about the plot twist because I find myself being underwhelmed by that. I think I would solely read this book to find it out, ha. What a wonderful review, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry, I'm a day behind on commenting - but Sam, thank you for the brilliant review and for the number of lovely comments from your blog readers. Hello to all of the familiar faces and welcome to all of the soon-to-be Jameson fans out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. AAAA SAM! I am so SORRY I haven't been commenting on your blog lately! Been so busy with school and tests but now that I'm done with it, I can finally have more time for blogging and commenting! Thank you so much though for commenting on my blog so many times! <3

    Night Sky sounds awesome. The cover looks gorgeous too! Must add this to my to-read list! Awesome review, Sam! <3 So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can tell you why you wanted it: you fell for the beautiful cover! And who can blame you? It looks amazing. I'm happy it worked out great for you. Contemporary rarely works for me too, but when it does, it stays with me for a long time. And I do love a good plot twist!
    Thanks for the great review, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Exact same thoughts! I agree with everything you said! At the beginning I was like WTH is this Sky person doing by getting into his car and swimming in his pool? I also do not enjoy male POVs that much (even though again, my fav series is told from a male POV), but Jolene just sucks you in!

    you should check out her other book "The Next Door Boys" I LOVED it and I can't wait for the second one in the series!

    fantastic review as always!

    - juhina

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great review Sam -As always- Glad you enjoyed this one

    Gabby~

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't wait to read this. As soon as I get a few other books out of the way, I'm going to. Thanks for the lovely review and post Sam! :)

    ReplyDelete