Review: Perigee Moon by Tara Fuller

Title: Perigee Moon
Author: Tara Fuller
Publisher: Crescent Moon Press
Published: Jan 12, 2012
Find On: Goodreads | Amazon UK

This is definitely one for the romance junkies.
 

Tara Fuller impresses me with her debut novel, giving me a heart-warming tale of first love, witchcraft, and everything in between. Her writing is so effortlessly mesmerising that from the first single word - Death - right through to the last sentence, she had me completely and utterly enthralled. Not once did my attention waver from the story, nor did I ever feel disengaged from the characters. I was more than satisfied with the dynamic, layered protagonist and her equally complex love interest, and more than happy with the captivating story line. Perigee Moon was exactly my type of book. 

Meet Rowan Bliss, our teenage heroine. Plagued by the presence of death – both her mothers and her own suicide attempt - Rowan moves to Massachusetts to start a new life with her grandparents. Instantly her unique, strong voice makes itself known to the reader. She is consumed by grief and sorrow – it is obvious the memories of hearing her mother’s screams still haunt her thoughts – and I recognised and felt her pain straight away. There is nothing quite like connecting with the protagonist of a story almost immediately. It was also wonderful to see Rowan growing out of her bubble and progressing as a character throughout the book. Tara Fuller’s writing shone through beautifully through her. I loved this line, in particular: 

“I imagined that my mother was the wind. That she was wrapping around me and running her fingers through my hair, whispering that everything was going to be alright.” 

If the writing wasn’t enough to appreciate, Tara Fuller weaved together the sweetest romance between her main characters. Alex Foster is an enigma of a character, both to Rowan and, initially, to the reader. The cloud of secrecy that surrounds him is enough to drive anyone mad, but I couldn’t help but still fall for him. With his alluring blue eyes, dark hair and caring manner, Alex had me under his spell. I found myself savouring each sweet moment between him and Rowan and swooning on every other page. This isn’t a light romance, and I will admit that I was concerned that Rowan and Alex may have fallen into that typical ‘insta-love’ category, but any doubts vanished in an instant as I settled further and further into the story. In fact, I think the romance is perhaps my favourite aspect of the whole book. Here, have one more quote: 

“When he laughed it was like music, but no song I’d ever heard.” 

Another brilliant aspect of the book: the plot. A good story line with a book about witches can be very hit and miss, but Perigee Moon is definitely one of my more favourite witch books. Most chapters begin with an extract from 1692, which, at first, make little sense to the reader, but then help us to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I loved how expertly the author handled each of these entries, and how perfectly she managed to tie them in with the present. These extracts, along with the mysteries Rowan begins to uncover for herself, contributes to crafting a riveting and engaging plot. I definitely think the story takes itself up a notch during the second half of the book, especially towards the end. The climax was thrilling and written very well, but nothing too exhausting. In other words, it was just right. 

Overall, Perigee Moon is a wonderful YA read, with the perfect blend of romance and fantasy. This is a stand-alone novel, which is a shame, as I would have happily read more about Rowan and Alex. I’m just glad Tara Fuller has another book due to be released this year – Inbetween. At least that means I still have something to look forward to! But while I count down the days to Inbetween’s release, all you paranormal romance addicts should go and grab a copy of Perigee Moon. You won’t regret it.


Rating: 4 stars

26 comments:

  1. Oh the quotes you picked were lovely Sam..the one about the wind in hair is magic. I like a good stand alone novel, so I am going to add this based on your awesome review to my ever growing addiction called the TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautifully written book! Tara has such a way with words :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book, so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it. Tara is so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi, I loved that quote when I read it so I just had to include it in my review. Most of the books I read tend to be in series, so I guess I am not used it! But the fact that I would love more tells you how much I enjoyed it. :) Happy to add to your TBR! *evil grin*

    Chloe, I completely agree. The writing was lovely, right? :)

    Melissa, thanks! Tara really is talented! I'm looking forward to reading more of her books to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When someone reads as much as we do, finding a book that will hold our attention from start to finish can be quite dificult.
    I trust your judgement on the romance completely and it makes me want to read this right away. Plus, I have a soft spot fro witches AND there isn't a love triangle. Right? :)
    Adding to my poor tbr. Thanks, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good. I haven't heard of it before but it's going on my to-read list now. I like the sound of Alex, too! :) Thanks for the amazing review. I wouldn't have heard of this great looking book if you hadn't posted this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely review, Sam! I think some of L.J Smith's books put me off witches but this sounds like something I should try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so true, Maja. Even with books I love, there is always a moment or two where I lose concentration. I'm pleased that was never the case with this book. You'll be happy to know that there is NO love-triangle. :D

    Zahra, thank you! I love that you know about this book now. It's definitely worth the time. So is Alex. ;)

    Mands (I'm assuming it's you!), thanks. :) I'm weird with books about witches. I love witches but it's difficult finding a book that will do the category justice. But thankfully, PM left me impressed. I hope you do try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Witches! Those are my fav. paranormal beings I hadn't heard of this one before. I love that it actually has a good romance as well. I have to keep this one in mind I think it's right up my alley! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was the PERFECT way to start your review, Sam -- it intrigued the romance junkie in me immediately! x) This book just sounds SO GOOD! I'm mentally cheering inside that this book is about witches because they're one of my favourite supernaturals! (I'd pick being a witch over a hairy werewolf any day LOL) And the super-sweet romance? The brilliant plot? And another amazing boy named Alex to add to my list?? *adds to MUST-read shelf*

    Amazing review, Sam! <3 Since you're the one who put me on the not-so-patiently-waiting-for-Inbetween list, it's perfect that you're the one to make me want to read this book too! I can't WAIT to get my hands on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost forgot to ask if there was a love triangle. So happy the answer is NO. Lovely review as always Sam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this sounds like a must read. I am wanting to read more romance lately.. probably because spring is coming. lol. Great review Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Giselle, it sounds like you might really like this then! I'm glad you know about this now. :D

    Mimi, I think I prefer witches to werewolves too! And yes, a super-sweet romance AND a brilliant plot! I loved it all. Plus we can't go wrong with a boy names Alex, can we? :D I'm glad you're excited for Inbetween, too. This book will be a good one to check out before Inbetween gets released.

    Rachel, thanks! And don't worry. The romance is very much focused on Alex and Rowan. There's no triangle to mess it up. ;)

    Christy, I want to read more romance all year round. :D But if you're getting in the mood, you should definitely check this out! It has one of the sweetest romances I have read lately.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just reading your review again and I want to read this book now! Oh where will I find the time lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i like that you jelled with her pretty quickly. it's something i struggle with at times. i haven't heard of this one before. thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    (aly here from goodreads btw :) )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am most definitely a romance junkie Sam!!!! Clearly, I need to read this book:) I'm always attracted to the characters that are surrounded by mystery, so I think I'll be a sucker for Alex in this one:) Thanks for the fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Suzanne, I know how that feels! There are so many unread books in my shelf that I bought ages ago and still haven't got round to! :D Hopefully you can squeeze this in somewhere.

    Aly, hi! I'm glad you're aware of this now. I love that I connected pretty quickly too. It's usually quite difficult for me to get into a book if the main character is too distant. Thankfully that wasn't the case with PM. :)

    Jenny, I know you are! :D I think this would definitely be something you might enjoy, especially if you like characters like Alex. It's not too hard to fall for him. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice review, Sam! *-* You had me with your first sentence, "This is definitely one for the romance junkies." I LOVE a good romance <3

    Will definitely be adding Perigee Moon to my TBR pile ;D

    Beatriz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, such a beautiful review, Sam! I really envy the way you weave words. It seems like you have magic fingers so you can write these brilliant phrases! This book is totally on my wishlist, I just have to get my hands on this book after reading your review! I love beautiful writings, especially ones that resembles a poem. This seems like a good book I'd enjoy! <3

    It's lovely that there's no triangle love here! After reading so much triangle love, sometimes it's just nice to have a book focused on one solid couple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Huh. I'll definitely have so check this out. I've seen it around but never had any interest in it. Now I'll be sure to add it to my reading pile :) (Especially since it's a standalone! YES!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beatriz, thanks! I'm glad you're a romance fan too! You may really end up liking this book then. ;) I can't wait for you to get round to it.

    Hilda, you're the sweetest! I love hearing from you and that comment just made my day. Thanks love, you rock! <3 I'm glad this is on your wishlist! It's such a great book and I definitely think you'd like it, too.

    Zoey, you like stand-alones?! I didn't know that. I prefer books in series most of the time, but it depends on the story. Let me know what you think of this when you get round to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, oh! A sweet romance AND witches? I'm so there. You always know just what to say to get me interested, Sam. :) Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard of this one yet.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oohh I didn't realise this was by the same Tara Fuller that is releasing Inbetween. This looks awesome-one to go on my wishlist! Great review Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh! Great review, Sam! :D Loves it. <3 And oh. I think I might actually like this book :D The main character sounds good, and the romance sounds sweet, with no triangle, so it seems like an awesome book :D Might read it, I think. <3
    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great review! I will be picking this up, and it's also great that it's a stand alone novel, sometimes you just need to read something that doesn't leave you hanging till the next instalment!

    ReplyDelete